Curried Chickpeas with Sweet Potato Pancakes
I was inspired to create this recipe by my mothers love of the West Indian Roti we can get here in South Florida. We love everything about the Roti except the bread. It’s typically made with white flour and all the gluten does not work well with our bellies so we need a more creative way to g`et the flavors without the glue belly. Inspired by the ingredients and flavors of the traditional West Indian Roti I created this West Indian inspired Paleo dish. Enjoy!!!!
|Flour, white||4 cups|
|Flour, spelt||4 cups|
|Baking powder||3 tbsp|
|Jamaican spicy curry powder||2 tsp|
|Garlic powder||2 tsp|
|Oil, Canola||1/2 cup|
|Oil, Canola||(for cooking)|
|Oil, Canola||3 tbsp|
|Onion, small, chopped||1|
|Garlic, cloves, crushed||4|
|Butternut squash, cubed small||4 cups|
|Potato, large (half cubed small, half shredded)||1|
|Pepper, scotch bonnet, finely chopped, seeds removed (optional)||1|
|Jamaican spicy curry powder||2 tbsp|
|Coriander, dry||2 tsp|
|Hot sauce (vinegar-free) (optional)||1 tbsp|
|Thyme, sprigs, fresh||6-8|
|Broth, vegetable||2 cups|
|Cilantro, fresh, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Hot sauce (vinegar-free) (optional)||For serving/garnishing|
- To make the roti, combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually add the oil and water while mixing and kneading the dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Set the dough aside for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal-sized balls. Flatten each slightly and roll out into 8 inch squares.
- To cook the roti, place a little bit of oil in a skillet over high heat until it sizzles. Reduce the heat to medium and place the roti in the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, until the crust is light brown. Turn with a wide spatula and continue cooking for another minute. Repeat the process with the remaining rotis. Set aside.
- To make the vegetable curry, place the oil in a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash, potato, and scotch bonnet and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, coriander, and hot sauce and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, salt, and thyme and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft but not mushy.
- Add the chick peas and peas and cook another 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Using a hand blender, puree one-tenth of the curry and stir well (this helps thicken the stew without adding flour or other thickening agents).
- Stir in cilantro. Set the filling aside.
- To assemble the roti, working with one roti at a time, place a half cup of vegetable curry filling in the center of the roti. Fold long sides over each other, so that they meet in the centre. Do the same for the short sides. Flip roti so that the folds are on the bottom.
- Place roti on a plate, garnish with hot sauce (without vinegar), and serve with a side salad or veggies of choice. Serve immediately.
Not using squash or potatoes but will add spinach
1- Put the following in the blender: coconut meat, onion, pumpkin, pepper, curry, coriander, turmeric
2- Heat coconut water, coconut oil, 1 cup veggie broth and add blended veggies and 1 tbsp of coconut flower then add cooked chickpeas until thicken
Instead of roti bread make sweet potato pancakes spiked with pumpkin, curry powder, turmeric and spinach.
-scotch bonnet pepper
Sweet Potato and Spinach Pancakes
-1/2 cup sweet potato
-1/2 cup pumpkin
-1/4 cup spinach
-1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour
-1 1/2 tbsp almond pulp
-1/2 tsp baking soda